If you decide that you need legal assistance or that you do not wish to represent yourself but do not know of a lawyer who can assist you, the following is a list of resources:
Maine State Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service (1-800-860-1460).
If your income qualifies, you may be eligible for free or low-cost legal assistance from one of the following offices.
- Pine Tree Legal Assistance ph. 207-774-4753,
- Volunteer Lawyers Project of Maine For Southern Maine: ph. 1-800-442-4293; for Northern Maine: ph. 1-888-956-4276.
- Cumberland Legal Aid Clinic A program of the University of Maine School of Law which provides legal services to low-income clients. ph. 1-877-780-2522
- Immigrant Legal Advocacy Project (ILAP) ph. 1-800-497-8505
- Legal Services for the Elderly Free help for people over age 60. ph. 1-877-774-7772
For a full list of agencies and services that offer legal services, see also the Maine State Bar’s website.