The United States District Court for the District of Maine
Response to COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
The United States District Court for the District of Maine continues to monitor the most current information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as the Administrative Office of the U. S. Courts (AO), regarding the COVID-19 virus (coronavirus). The Court is following recommended guidance in order to protect the public health. In accordance with this guidance, court operations have been adjusted in several areas and access to the courthouses restricted.
Details about current court operations and access may be found in the materials below.
The Court’s General Orders establish the Court’s practices and policies during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Index of General Orders is regularly updated and describes the subject of each General Order and indicates whether the General Order is active and in effect or expired and no longer in effect.
- Index of Active General Orders Regarding the COVID-19 Pandemic (updated 1/12/2022)
Note: The Court’s expired General Orders can be viewed in the Court’s case file 2:20-mc-00080-JDL and in case file 2:21-mc-00011-JDL in PACER. You will need your PACER login and password to view the case file.
Telephone and Video (“Zoom”) Hearings
- Broadcasting of Telephone and Video Proceedings
- COVID-19 Telephonic & Video Conference Script
- Protocol for Sidebar Conferences During Video Teleconference Proceedings
- Zoom Participation Instructional Document
- Notice Re: Instructions for Attending Court Hearings Conducted by Video Teleconference During COVID-19 Pandemic
Persons planning to attend an in-court hearing are encouraged to read General Order 2020-7 regarding face-coverings and masks, and General Order 2020-13 regarding entrance protocols.
- Protocols and Procedures Governing In-Person Proceedings (April 20, 2021)
- Plan for Resuming Trials During the COVID-19 Pandemic (April 13, 2021)
Court Decisions Referencing the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Notice Regarding Discontinuation of the Use of the COVID-19 Procedural Order Authorizing Foreclosure Plaintiffs to Seek a Default Judgment on Documentary Evidence
- Continuity of Operations Public Announcement (March 18, 2020)
- Chief Judge's Letter Regarding the District of Maine's Response to COVID-19 (May 22, 2020)
If You Have a Question
• Please contact the Clerk of Court by phone or email for additional information about how to file documents, the status of a case or a scheduled hearing, and other issues:
- Clerk’s Office in Portland: (207) 780-3356 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clerk’s Office in Bangor: (207) 945-0575 or email@example.com
If You Have a Suggestion